Ryan H. Opgenorth
Ryan H. Opgenorth, Partner &
Phone: (415) 433-8000
Fax: (415) 433-4816
Mr. Opgenorth is an insurance coverage and bad faith litigator. He represents policyholders to ensure that they receive maximum compensation for their claims and are treated with respect by their insurance companies. He has obtained favorable judgments in both state and federal court. He has recovered over $100 million on behalf of his clients. Mr. Opgenorth has been selected by his peers in the legal community as a Super Lawyer “Rising Star” each year since 2013.
Achieved 8-figure and 7-figure recoveries for clients against insurers who wrongfully refused to defend their insureds in lawsuits that were potentially covered under commercial general liability insurance policies.
Secured lifetime long-term care benefits for a client by barring her insurance carrier from rescinding the policy based on responses to impermissible application questions.
Secured long-term disability benefits for clients who suffer from debilitating physical and mental conditions.
Obtained a reversal on appeal of a summary adjudication ruling in insurer’s favor in the published decision Sequeira v. Lincoln National Life Insurance Company (2015) 239 Cal.App.4th 1438.
- Tucker v. The Travelers Indemnity Co. of Conn., et al. (N.D. Cal.) 2017 WL 10456186
- Massachusetts Mutual Life Ins. Co. v. Chang (N.D. Cal.) 2016 WL 6778664
- Sequeira v. Lincoln National Life Ins. Co. (2015) 239 Cal.App.4th 1438
- Evans v. Poms & Associates Ins. Brokers, Inc. (C.D. Cal.) 2015 WL 857464
- Cadenasso v. Unum Group, et al. (N.D. Cal.) 2014 WL 12703565
- Rader v. Sun Life Assur. Co. of Canada (N.D. Cal. 2013) 941 F.Supp.2d 1191
- Ruiz Food Products, Inc. v. Catlin Underwriting U.S., Inc. (E.D. Cal.) 2012 WL 4050001
- B.A. University of California, Los Angeles, 2003
- Graduated magna cum Claude
- J.D. University of Southern California Gould School of Law, 2007
- Interdisciplinary Law Journal
- United States District Court, Northern District of California
- United States District Court, Eastern District of California
- United States District Court, Central District of California
- United States District Court, Southern District of California
- Member, American Association for Justice
- Member, Consumer Attorneys of California
- Member, San Francisco Trial Lawyers Association
- Member, Asian American Bar Association
Articles & Presentations
- The impact of Crawford v. Weather Shield MFG., Inc. on contractual indemnity provisions – McCormick Barstow LLP, 2009
- Summary of workers’ compensation bad faith cases – “The Domino Effect” Seminar, September 2014
- Insurance coverage issues in personal injury cases – San Francisco Trial Lawyers Association, September 2015
- Deposing insurance company personnel: lessons learned – Advocate Magazine, September 2018
- Managing COVID-19 business interruption claims – Camps Seminar, April 2020
- Surviving COVID-19: best practices for your business interruption claim – SFTLA Magazine, May 2020